Top 21 HTML Interview Questions and Answers for 2023
What is HTML? What are the basic interview questions in HTML? Which are the popular HTML interview questions? What are the most important topics in HTML?
Looking for answers to these questions? Keep reading.
What is HTML?
HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language. Markup language defines the text document within the tag that explains the structure of websites, whereas hypertext defines the link between web pages.
HTML consists of Tags and Attributes that create web pages. Developers can also use hyperlinks in HTML to connect several web pages.
Top 21 HTML interview questions and answers
What are the features of HTML?The following are the features of HTML:
- HTML is a markup language that allows developers to create text-based web pages with a lot of freedom. The language allows developers to make a web page more interactive through images, videos, and audio.
- HTML is simple to use and understand.
- HTML is platform-agnostic, meaning it works on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
- HTML allows developers to include a link on a web page, making it easier for users to get the information they want.
What is HTML5? What are some of its features?HTML5 is the latest version of HTML.
Some of the features of HTML5 are:
- HTML5 supports Canvas, SVG, and other virtual vector graphics.
- HTML5 does not use SGML. It has updated parsing rules for better compatibility.
- HTML5 uses web SQL databases to temporarily store data.
- HTML5 does not include elements such as Applet, isindex, noframes, acronym, dir, font, frame, frameset, and large.
- HTML5 includes elements such as time, summary, aside, audio, command, and data.
Do all HTML tags have an end tag?There is no end tag for any HTML tag. The br> tag, for example, is used to break a line, while the image> tag is used to insert an image into a page. They’re known as self-closing tags because they don’t need an end tag.
The starting and ending tags represent the beginning and closing of the HTML element. The < and > symbol encloses the tags.
What is a Style Sheet?A style sheet is a blueprint for creating a consistent, portable, and well-designed style. These templates can develop various web pages. Style Sheet specifies the design and formatting of a web page in HTML.
Is the <!DOCTYPE html> tag a HTML tag?No, the <!DOCTYPE html> declaration is not an HTML tag.
Why is a URL encoded in HTML?Only the ASCII character set can convey URLs. That’s why URLs must be encoded to transform non-ASCII characters into a format that can be used on the Internet.
If a URL contains characters that are not part of the ASCII character set, the URL must be transformed. ‘Percent’ and hexadecimal digits replace Non-ASCII characters.
What are HTML Attributes?HTML attributes provide information about the HTML elements. HTML attributes are defined immediately behind the tag name. Also, they can only be found in opening tags, but not in closing tags.
What is semantic HTML?Semantic HTML is a type of code. It is the use of HTML markup in web pages and web apps to reinforce the semantics. It gives meaning to the code that developers write.
<table>, <form> , and <article> tags define semantics’ content.
What is a marquee tag?A marquee tag is a non-standard HTML element that causes text to automatically scroll up, down, left, and right. Within the following tag, developers can put the text that they want to scroll on a web page:
Sample Syntax: <marquee>…ABC…</marquee>
What happens when you open the external CSS file in a web browser?When you try to open the external CSS file in a browser, the browser refuses to do so. The reason for this action is that the file has a different extension. Only the link/> tag within another HTML document can be used to reference an external CSS file.
Which tags separate a section of text?The following three tags separate a section of texts:
- <br> : To separate the line of text.
- <p> : To define the paragraph.
- <blockquote> : To define a large quoted section.
HTML supports some media types and formats. Which are they?HTML supports various media formats for sound, music, videos, movies, and animations.
HTML supports the following formats:
- Images: jpg, gif, svg, jpeg, png, apng, BMP, and ico.
- Audio: RealAudio, AAC, WAV, WMA, MIDI, MP3, and MP4.
- Video: MPEG, AVI, WMV, Flash, QuickTime, RealVideo, WebM, and MP4.
Explain an image map in HTML.The map> tag specifies an image map. Developers can use an image map element to link multiple web pages with a single image. Using area> tags, developers can create one or more clickable areas in a single image.
How to create multi-colored text on a web page?For the individual texts that developers wish to color, they can use font color =”color”> /font> to produce multi-colored text on a web page.
How to add a favicon in HTML?In the HEAD> part of any web page’s code, paste the following code.
<link rel=”icon” type=”image/png” href=”/favicon.png”/>
<link rel=”icon” type=”image/png” href=”https://example.com/favicon.png”/>
What is blink text in HTML?The HTML blink> tag designates a non-standard element that creates an enclosed text. If the text blinks slowly, it means that light flashes on and off regularly or intermittently.
What is the procedure to list elements straight in an HTML file?To keep the elements of a list aligned straight, use indents. Developers can use a nested list and indent it further than the parent list to quickly identify the lists and elements that are present within the list.
What are Forms in HTML?Developers can add a form to a webpage if they wish to collect information from users. When a user fills out the form fields, the data gets saved in a database. Forms are fully customizable and can link CRM.
What are void elements in HTML?Some HTML elements require an opening tag and no closing tag, which are referred to as void elements. Examples include br />, img />, hr />, and so on.
What is the difference between XHTML and HTML?Here are a few differences between XHTML and HTML:
- The acronyms HTML and XHTML stand for Hypertext Markup Language and Extensible Hypertext Markup Language, respectively.
- The HTML file format is a document file format, whereas XHTML is a markup file format.
- It is not necessary to close tags in the same order as they were opened in HTML, but it is required in XHTML.
- It is critical to write doctype at the head of the file in XHTML; however, it is not necessary in HTML.
- .html and .htm are the file extensions in HTML. Whereas, .xhtml,.xht, and.xml are the file extensions in XHTML.
What is the use of an IFrame tag?An IFrame, also known as an inline frame, is an HTML document that is embedded into other HTML documents on a website. The IFrame element incorporates material from another source onto a webpage, such as an advertisement.
Make sure to include basic to advanced questions in the interview. Also, don’t forget to involve web developers, UI/UX designers, and testers in the interview panel. If you find hiring and managing employees challenging and want to avoid the hassle altogether, visit Turing.com.
Turing’s AI-backed Intelligent Talent Cloud helps businesses source, vet, match, and manage the world’s best software developers remotely. With Turing, you can hire experienced, pre-vetted Silicon Valley talent at unbeatable prices!
- What are the basic interview questions in HTML?
Here are 5 basic interview questions in HTML:
- What are the features of HTML?
- What is HTML 5?
- Do all HTML tags have an end tag?
- What is a Style Sheet?
- Why is a URL encoded in HTML?
- What are the important topics of HTML?
Here are the five important topics of HTML:
- The basic HTML syntax & elements
- Style sheets
- Meta tags
- Why is HTML used?
HTML coding guarantees correct formatting of the text and images in a browser. A browser will not be able to display text as elements or load images or other elements without HTML. HTML also supplies the page’s basic structure, which is then covered with Cascading Style Sheets to customize its appearance.
Tell us the skills you need and we'll find the best developer for you in days, not weeks.