Top 10 Jenkins interview questions and answers for 2023
Want to get placed in a top US MNC? Want to assemble excellent Jenkins developers? Go through this curated list of Jenkins interview questions and answers.
As an open-source automation server, Jenkins helps in Continuous Integration needs. The tool assists developers in orchestrating a chain of actions to accelerate the software development process by automating it. These Jenkins interview questions and answers will help you prepare to ace your Jenkins interview. These Jenkins interview questions will also help if you're looking to hire brilliant Jenkins developers for your development team. These questions can be extremely beneficial in assessing the candidates on their technical skills.
So, whether you are a candidate actively looking for Jenkins interview questions and answers for preparation or a recruiter looking for a Jenkins professional, the following list of Jenkins interview questions will be of great use for you.
Table of contentsTop 10 Jenkins interview questions and answers (10)
Top 10 Jenkins interview questions and answers
What are the steps to download and start Jenkins?
It is one of the most basic Jenkins interview questions of DevOps that you can ask to kick off the interview process. You need to follow the following steps in order to start Jenkins -
- Download - Jenkins Generic Java package (.war)
- Launch the command prompt as administrator and execute java -jar Jenkins.war
- Browse to http://localhost:8080 and copy the generated password
- Follow the instructions for setting up plugins and creating first admin users
- Start running Jenkins as a standalone application
Talk about continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment in detail.
Continuous integration (CI) - It is a development practice that enables developers to regularly integrate code changes into a shared repository, after which automated builds and tests are executed. These incremental code changes to production focus on enhancing the speed of software development and deployment process.
Continuous delivery (CD) - It is a process to build, test, and deliver improvements to the codebase. It allows developers to get changes of all types, including new features, configuration changes, bug fixes, and experiments, that too in production.
Continuous deployment (CD) - It is a software release process that allows developers to deliver software components/functionalities frequently through automated deployments. Basically, any developer change made to the codebase is automatically released to the production stage.
How do you move/copy Jenkins from one server to another?
There are several ways of moving or copying Jenkins from one server to another:
- Using the thin backup plugin
- Relocating the Jenkins folder from one server to the other (copying the JENKINS_HOME)
- Using job import plugin if the two servers are in the same network
Mention the security mechanisms that Jenkins uses to authenticate users?
Take a look at the three security mechanisms that Jenkins uses for authenticating users –
- Jenkins stores the user's data and credentials in an internal database for authentication (default)
- It can also use a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) server to authenticate users.
- Furthermore, it can be configured to implement the authentication mechanism that the deployed application server utilizes.
Explain the types of pipelines in Jenkins.
It is one of the best Jenkins pipeline interview questions to assess the candidate's knowledge. Jenkin pipeline is a collection of plugins that assists in the implementation and integration of continuous delivery pipelines into Jenkins. Take a look at two types of Jenkin pipelines-
- Declarative pipeline - It offers richer syntactical features and makes writing and reading pipeline codes easier.
- Scripted Pipeline – It is a traditional way of writing Jenkin pipeline that provides great control over the script and allows to manipulate the flow of the script extensively, enabling developers to build advanced and complex pipelines as code.
What are the steps to integrate Git with Jenkins?
Follow the steps to integrate Git with Jenkins-
- Go to Jenkins dashboard
- Click on "manage Jenkins"
- Then go to "manage Plugins"
- When plugins page opens-
- Select the Git Plugin
- Click on "install without restart" or "Download now and install after restart"
- If Git is already installed, you will see a message "no updates available"
- After installation, go to "Manage Jenkins" and you'll see Git plugin with other plugins installed.
What is an Agent Directive in Jenkins?
An Agent directive instructs how and when to execute the pipelines or their subsets in the Jenkins environment. These Agents should be distinctly labeled so that they can be identified from each other easily. They create a workspace for the pipeline that includes the required working files so that whenever an executor is available, it triggers Jenkins to execute the necessary steps.
What are the commands for restarting Jenkins manually?
You can use either of the following commands to restart Jenkins manually-
- (jenkins_url)/safeRestart – Enables a restart where all running jobs are allowed to complete. However, new jobs will stay in the queue until the restart is complete.
- (jenkins_url)/restart – Forces a restart without waiting for the builds to finish.
What is the Backup plugin, and how to use it?
Backup plugin Jenkins can be used to back up critical configuration settings. Follow the following steps to have a backup in place –
- Go to Jenkins dashboard and click on "Manage Jenkins"
- Choose “Manage Plugins”
- Search for "Backup Plugin" and select "Install without restart"
- Restart Jenkins instance once done
- Go back to "Manage Jenkins" and select "Backup Manager"
- Click on “Setup”
- Define the directory for your backup and click "save". Make sure your backup directory resides in a different drive from the drive where your Jenkins instance is set up.
How do you set up a Jenkin job?
You can easily set up a new built job in Jenkins by following the below steps -
- Log on to your Jenkins dashboard
- Click on "New Items" which is displayed at the top left corner of your dashboard
- Enter the relevant details
- Enter an item name
- Select "Freestyle project"
- Press OK
- Enter project details
- Enter repository URL
- After providing the details, tweak the settings under the "build" section as required
- Click "Apply" and "Save" the project
- Build source code by clicking "Build Now"
- Check the status under "Build History"
- Click on "Build Number" and then "Console Output" to see the status
Tired of interviewing candidates to find the best developers?
Hire top vetted developers within 4 days.
Preparing for Jenkins interview questions for testers or developers is the most important step in landing a job. As a result, prior preparation can help you remain cool, calm, and collected as well as be in control when facing your prospective employers. On the other hand, employers as well should spend time going through Jenkins interview questions in order to accurately evaluate candidates, create a positive candidate experience, and promote their brand.
You can work with Turing if you're a recruiter looking to hire from the top 1% of Jenkins developers. If you're an experienced Jenkins developer searching for a new opportunity, Turing.com is a great place to start.
Hire Silicon Valley-caliber remote Jenkins developers at half the cost
Turing helps companies match with top-quality remote Jenkins developers from across the world in a matter of days. Scale your engineering team with pre-vetted remote Jenkins developers at the push of a button.
Hire from the top 1% developers worldwide
- Spring Boot
Hire remote developers
Tell us the skills you need and we'll find the best developer for you in days, not weeks.