Five Fastest Growing Jobs in 2023 in The IT Industry
In 2023 the global developer count will reach 27.7 million, making software development one of the highest-paid and fastest growing jobs in the IT industry.
So, if you’re contemplating changing careers in the same domain or embarking on a new career path entirely, you’ve come to the right place.
Here’s a list of the five fastest growing jobs to look out for in 2023.
Let’s dive in.
1. Data scientist
Data scientists are in high demand, with a 29 percent year-over-year growth and a 344 percent increase since 2013. As a result, data science offers one of the highest-paying and fastest growing jobs across most businesses and sectors.
Data scientists use their technical and analytical skills to identify patterns, handle data, and draw valuable conclusions. They recognize the right solutions by combining theoretical and industry knowledge, contextual insights, and skepticism of established assumptions. Some of the data scientist skills include:
- Understanding of Machine Learning algorithms
- Proficiency in creating data models
- Good grasp of coding in popular programming languages, such as Python and R
- Knows how to identify business issues and provide appropriate solutions
Related post: Node.JS vs. Python: What Should You Choose?
2. DevOps engineer
According to a recent DevOps Skills Report, today’s use of DevOps is 74 percent, with enterprise-wide adoption at 24 percent and project adoption at 42 percent.
DevOps engineer was named one of the most-recruited roles on LinkedIn in 2018. In addition, 51 percent of the DevOps Skills Report respondents said they had recently employed or planned to hire DevOps engineers in 2023.
DevOps engineers oversee the coding, scripting, and development processes. They are also in charge of the software development team involved in the deployment and network operations. Some of the DevOps engineer skills include:
- Strong knowledge of popular programming languages, such as Python and R
- Proficiency in coding and scripting
- Good grasp of tools, such as Git and Jenkins
- Mastery in Linux or UNIX system administration
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills Deep understanding of DevOps best practices
3. Cloud architect
According to a report published by Indeed, the number of cloud computing jobs per million increased by 42 percent from March 2018 to March 2021.
Meanwhile, according to a CompTIA survey, 46 percent of IT professionals believe the skills gap in the IT industry is widening, with cloud infrastructure and cloud applications architects being among the most sought-after talents.
A cloud architect creates cloud architecture and cloud strategy. They also coordinate, implement, and deploy cloud services. Cloud architects ensure correct application architecture and execution on the cloud platforms.
Some of the cloud architect skills include:
- Strong proficiency in popular programming languages such as Python, Ruby, and Elixir
- Good grasp of data storage fundamentals
- Hands-on experience with Route 53 (DNS), CloudFront (CDN), and Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
- Good understanding of cloud-specific patterns and technologies
4. Full-stack developer
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be 8.53 million open Full Stack Developer job positions by 2024, making it one of the fastest growing jobs in the coming years.
A full-stack developer is in charge of developing and building APIs using MEAN stack technologies and is proficient in front-end and back-end programming.
They ensure that the applications are responsive and meet the appropriate standards, and the programming code is clean and secure. Some of the full-stack developer skills include:
- Excellent understanding of popular programming languages such as MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js
- Knowledge of how to design and develop an API
- Mastery of coding and scripting Basic understanding of web development fundamentals
- Good command over database technologies
5. Blockchain engineer
By 2023, projections indicate the global spending on blockchain solutions will exceed $15.9 billion, meaning that blockchain specialists would be in high demand across industries and geographies.
A blockchain engineer develops and implements blockchain-based architecture and solutions.
A blockchain engineer should have strong programming abilities and a complete understanding of the technologies, such as cloud computing, security protocol stacks, crypto libraries, functions, and consensus processes. Some of the blockchain engineer skills include:
- Experience in working with codebases
- Hands-on experience on open source projects
- Good knowledge of algorithms and data structures
Why are these the fastest growing jobs of 2023?
These are the fastest growing jobs of 2023 in IT because they pay well, have good growth prospects, and have high job satisfaction scores.
Additionally, IT professionals who helped organizations process and analyze data, digitize and innovate their products, and ensure businesses remain efficient, profitable, and secure during the pandemic saw the most significant salary increase.
The developer job market is evolving, and AI-driven jobs are growing everywhere. If you also wish to earn better than the market average as a software developer, visit Turing.com and apply for the best jobs in 2023 in top US companies. You can pick from popular programming languages like React, Node, Python, Angular, Swift, React Native, Android, Java, Rails, Golang, DevOps, ML, Data Engineers, and more.
Visit the Jobs page to know more!
Join a network of the world's best developers and get long-term remote software jobs with better compensation and career growth.