C# is a popular general-purpose programming language designed by Microsoft. This language has been drafted for Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) consisting runtime environment and executable code that enables the use of high-level languages on various architectures and platforms. In this blog, we have discussed some of the must-read C# books that every software developer should read in 2023.
C# is a structured object-oriented language that uses various components to create efficient programs and it is very easy to learn. This language is integrated as part of the .NET framework and it can be deployed on various platforms thus making it highly portable
There are a lot of powerful features, which make C# one of the preferred languages in software development. Let’s take a quick look at some of the C# features.
- Compatibility with different languages: The .NET framework used by C# allows various programming languages as well as libraries to work together collaboratively and create powerful applications with high-end features. This compatibility with programming languages contributes to easier development, management, deployment, and integration into powerful build mechanisms.
- Automatic garbage collection: The automatic garbage collection feature in C# is responsible for the allocation and release of memory thus managing the object sessions effectively. The developers do not need to bother about the allocation of memory resources, it is done automatically by C#. The memory is allocated whenever a new object gets declared, and the allocations are done quickly to speed up the process. When there isn’t sufficient memory available, the garbage collector collects and disposes of garbage memory to make space for new allocations.
- Support for modern applications: C# can be considered a modern language with automatic memory management and cross-language exception handling. C# also comes with a decimal datatype for numerical calculations and it provides a robust model for building and scaling applications.
- Object-oriented language: C# is an object-oriented language with the capability to reuse existing code, thus reducing code redundancy. It also supports all major OOP features such as inheritance, polymorphism, and data encapsulation.
- Versioning: Versioning means scaling of application in a compatible manner based on custom requirements. C# supports both binary and source compatibility in applications. The binary compatibility defines that the application’s previous version can work with its new version without needing to recompile the previous version. The source compatibility means the application’s new version can work with its old version when the previous version is recompiled.
- Typesafe: C# is a typesafe language that improves code stability and provides a more productive development framework. The typesafe measures provided by C# are as follows.
No variable can be used without initialization
Enforcement of overflow checking for arithmetic operations
checking of the array, and warning to developers when access is out of bound
Dynamic allocation of objects as well as array initialization to zero.
C# is used in the development of a wide range of programs, applications, cloud-based frameworks, enterprise software, desktop & mobile apps, games, and websites. Through its object-oriented programming concepts and other excellent features such as cross-platform capability and type-safe coding development, C# has become one of the preferred programming languages for a lot of developers around the world.
Learning C# is easy. All it takes is a genuine desire to learn and a bit of consistent practice to master the art of programming in C#. If you are looking to become a professional C# programmer or just want to learn the language for fun, you can start off by learning the basics such as syntax and programming structure through C# books. There are various C# books online that can help you get a thorough understanding of the basics of C#, which are vital for learning the language.
If you want to learn about different aspects of programming in C# then there are several C# books in the market that are worth reading. We have documented some of the most valuable books that will go a long way in helping you learn about C#, and its coding practices. These C# books basically provide a deep dive into everything that you need to know about the C# language. Let us have a look.
This is a basic conceptual book that deals with the foundation of C# and it is great for those who want to get started with the learning of C# programming language. The developers will get to learn about the core concepts related to C# plus some of the more advanced ones too. This C# book adopts a simple approach to help the readers understand the different concepts and the underlying structure of C#. The author has provided various examples and illustrations which are important in the curve of any concept or language.
This C# book covers a wide range of concepts including basic tasks such as installation of Visual Studio to advanced topics of data manipulation and performance tuning through LINQ and Entity Framework. This C# book provides numerous exercise questions towards the end of all chapters. It also covers practical examples of web development using C# in the .NET framework and provides an introduction to REST services as well as the CMS platform. There are online resource links provided in the C# book which can be incredibly useful for readers to learn more about specific C# concepts.
This is one of the best C# books in the market for beginners. It begins with the most basic programming concepts and provides a detailed overview of object-oriented programming concepts. This C# book has six parts with the first three parts covering the basic topics, whereas the last three sections covering more advanced concepts.
This C# book is focused on different concepts of C# rather than the tools associated with the language. It provides comprehensive coverage of OOP concepts including generic details. There are specially drafted challenges at the end of chapters that are designed based on the specific difficulty levels. While there are some advanced concepts that are not covered by this C# book, this is an ideal resource for beginners and those who want to brush up on their language skills.
This C# book is ideal for intermediate and advanced learners of the C# language. One of the highlights of the book is the use of poignant examples for engaging the readers and helping them learn better. This book is comprehensive with extensive coverage of all the fundamentals related to C#. Here it is worth noting, that you won’t get to read about the .NET framework or Visual Studio since it is assumed that the reader already knows about these platforms.
Some of the features of this C# book include crisp and fluent style highlighting the strong command of the author over the C# language and that translates through to the reader. The book covers advanced concepts of exceptions, events, garbage collection, and delegates. If you have just started then you can first go through the previous versions of the book that cover more basic concepts and help readers to get up to speed. The author has included a lot of useful tips, suggestions, and important notes with each chapter that helps the readers to understand the concept better. This C# book follows a structured approach to learning, and it also provides links to resources for more thorough coverage of that specific topic.
This is one of the most comprehensive and detail-oriented C# books that covers all the important topics exhaustively. This book helps the readers in building a strong foundation of the C# programming language so that they can be equipped with the necessary knowledge for building applications and working on different projects. The author provides a detailed background related to C# and also provides thorough explanations of the core concepts. There are also various coding examples that are included in the diagrams for a convenient reference, which is one of the highlights of the book.
This C# book provides one of the most concise, crisp, and detailed resources on C#. This book explains both C# and Visual studio in great detail. There are a lot of insightful notes included in the chapters which provide crucial knowledge to the users and can go a long way in helping the readers understand the concept even better. More importantly, this book is well-structured and organized, so users can easily navigate through different parts within the book.
As the name suggests, this is one of the most extensive C# books that you can find anywhere. This book follows an intuitive approach instead of just plain explanations, and this is particularly helpful in making the readers understand the concepts better. This can be considered an ideal book for intermediate learners.
Since this C# book has been written by one of the community developers, it uses a holistic approach to the most common problems and how those can be solved. Here it is worth noting that if you do not have any knowledge about C# then this book is not for you. The author has explained the evolution and various features of C# through this book.
These are some of the best C# books that developers must go through, for a comprehensive learning experience. Each of these C# books is unique and adds distinct value to the learning process for the readers. These books also adopt a unique approach based on the writing style of the author so you can experiment with different books and check out which is best suited for you. So if you are thinking of learning about C# then what are you waiting for? Just go ahead, pick one of these C# books, and get started instantly.
Huzefa is a technical content writer at Turing. He is a computer science graduate and an Oracle-certified associate in Database Administration. Beyond that, he loves sports and is a big football, cricket, and F1 aficionado.
Tell us the skills you need and we'll find the best developer for you in days, not weeks.