12 Best Node js Frameworks for 2023
How many Node js frameworks are there? What are the popular Node js frameworks? Which Node js framework should I use? Which framework goes best with Node js?
Looking for answers to these questions? Keep reading.
In the last couple of years, the demand for web applications has increased significantly. As a result, software developers are testing different programming languages and frameworks to build and improve web applications.
However, according to a recent user survey, four out of five software developers choose Node js frameworks as their go-to choice.
Node js has many frameworks that include various tools, templates, and libraries to assist developers in overcoming app development roadblocks.
While some Node js frameworks offer development freedom, others support automation; some offer speed, and others provide expansion capabilities. Therefore, choosing the right Node js framework is challenging, especially when there are so many to choose from.
So, here is the list of the top 12 most popular Node JS frameworks based on popularity and usage in 2023.
How many Node js frameworks are there?
The Node js frameworks can be divided into three groups, which are as follows:
MVC frameworksModel View Controller or MVC is architectural anatomy used as the foundation for building flexible frameworks, allowing developers to create each application layer separately.
REST API frameworksREST API frameworks offer a ready-to-program interface that saves developers time, effort, and money. REST API frameworks are also useful for developing reliable server-client communication routes.
Full-stack MVC frameworksFull-stack MVC frameworks support and manage both the frontend and backend development of a mobile app, and provide various tools for developing and updating software.
What are the popular Node js frameworks?
Express.jsTJ Holowaychuk developed Express.js, which is popular as the de facto standard server framework for Node js. The Express.js framework allows developers to create single-page, double-page, and hybrid enterprise apps. This framework involves a collection of elements that come together to form the final product.
- Express.js comes with a model view controller capability that aids in the creation of unique apps.
- Express.js functions similarly to a routing table or a collection of routing libraries.
- Express.js has more than 14 engine templates, HTTP methods, and synchronization for better performance.
- Express.js allows the injection of heavy load packages, which aids in the framework’s capability expansion.
- Total.js has a NoSQL database, which makes application development more efficient.
- Total.js includes features, such as Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and a Modular Coding Structure.
- Total.js works with various database systems, including MongoDB, Angular, MySQL, Ember, and others, allowing complete front-end development.
Related post: Why and When to Use Node JS: A Brief Guide
Derby.Js follows the MVC pattern. This framework is useful for developing real-time apps. Derby.js contains an automatic conflict resolution feature that permits data synchronization between client and server.
- Derby.js features an inherent data synchronization engine in the form of a fast Derby Racer and allows faultless synchronization between the server, app database, and browsers.
- With Derby.js, developers can create real-time web apps.
- Derby.js offers a lot of customization in codes.
- Script development is bidirectional, which helps develop the client and server-side functions.
Adonis.jsAdonis.js is one of the most popular Node js API frameworks that is attractive and simple to use. This framework assists in creating effective web apps from the ground up. Developers can write stable server-side programs thanks to the ecosystem provided by Adonis.js.
- Adonis.js provides uniform ecosystems that help developers reduce the time spent selecting multiple packages.
- Adonis.js allows quick work on existing projects.
Hapi.jsHapi.js is one of the best Node js REST API frameworks that help with server-side and client-side intermediation. This framework is widely regarded as a superior alternative to Express.js. Hapi.js was brought to existence to master server functions. Hapis.js is also an open-source framework that can be used as a server framework.
- Hapi.js can provide dynamic content.
- Hapi.js has a plugin-based, scalable architecture. These plugins make it possible to create real-time chatting apps.
- Hapi.js provides thorough API references as well as dependable document-generating support.
Socket.IOSocket.IO is an event-driven JS library for real-time web applications. It enables real-time, bi-directional communication between servers and web applications. Socket.IO consists of two parts: a client-side library that runs in the browser and a server-side library for Node.js.
Socket.IO is well-known among developers because it ensures accuracy and speeds up the app development process. The library also features a straightforward API that integrates seamlessly with any service.
- Socket.io is quite friendly and helps in auto-correction and anomaly detection, among other things.
- Socket.io helps to create a bidirectional data flow between the server and the web.
- Socket.io helps developers send clean streams from the server to various browsers.
Mojito.jsMojito.js is a modular, source-controlled split testing framework that lets software developers build, launch, and analyze projects via Git/CI.
Mojito.js determines the type of calling device and generates appropriate HTML content. The framework’s large-scale API modules can perform REST calls, execute code, and manage cookies and assets.
- Mojito.js uses Y.Base to increase functionality.
- Mojito.js easily manages server-side and client-side components.
- Mojito.js allows the rapid creation of web apps.
- Mojito.js enables continuous app development.
Nest.jsNest.js builds efficient and scalable server-side web applications which support TypeScript. Nest.js uses robust HTTP server frameworks, such as Express or Fastify.
Also, this framework includes a series of strong type models, including Object-Oriented Programming, Functional Reactive Programming, and Functional Programming.
- Nest.js uses Angular.js to provide healthy front-end development.
- Nest.js, in its modular style, organizes code in distinct modules.
- Nest.js can create unique web apps with many characteristics.
Related post: 7 Advantages of Node.js to Startups You Must Know
Salis.jsSails.js is an MVC web application framework developed atop the Node.js environment.
This framework uses code generators, which create web applications with very little code. Developers can easily use this framework to create browser-based applications due to its great compatibility.
- Salis.js uses Express.js to process HTTP requests.
- Salis.js has a lot of compatibility with websites that create frontend platforms.
- The MVC structure is similar to other frameworks.
- Salis.js provides any data users desire with the help of Object Relational Mapping.
Meteor.js is a free and open-source isomorphic JS web framework written using Node js. Meteor.js allows rapid prototyping and produces cross-platform code. Meteor.js makes app development easier by providing a secure development environment.
- Developers don’t have to redo mobile applications if they use this framework.
- The architecture of Meteor.js is light. This function reduces the code quantity.
- Meteor.js works well with Mango, React, and Vue.
Koa.jsKoa.js is a minimal and flexible Node js framework that provides many features for web and mobile applications. The same people who created Express.js developed Koa.js.
Koa.js is small but powerful and expressive. It is useful to generate both web apps and APIs. Koa.js does not include any middleware in the center.
- Koa.js allows a lot of customization, allowing developers to work on apps from the start.
- Koa.js’ generators can limit the use of callbacks, providing developers with a more robust error handling system.
- The middleware in Koa.js is packaged as a bundle at its core. This step ensures that writing to a server is fast and easy.
LoopBack.jsLoopBack is a highly-extensible, open-source Node.js framework that enables developers to create dynamic end-to-end REST APIs with little or no coding. LookBack.js comes with an easy-to-use CLI and a fun API website browser.
- Using this framework, a developer can quickly create SDKs and API documentation.
- Lookback.js can connect to any database, including SQL, Oracle, and MongoDB.
- LookBack.js’ most notable feature is its ability to support multiple databases.
Node js is a popular app development tool that includes a range of dependable and high-performance frameworks. These frameworks make application development easier, faster, and less expensive.
However, choosing the right people to utilize these frameworks is equally critical. To make the best hiring decisions, try Turing.com. Turing’s AI-backed Intelligent Talent Cloud helps businesses source, vet, match, and manage the world’s best software developers remotely.
If you’re a developer looking for high-growth, high-paying remote software jobs with US-based companies, apply to Turing jobs today! Check out the Apply to Jobs page for more information!
- What are the top 10 Node js frameworks in 2023?
Express, Koa, Nest, Hapi, Meteor, Salis, Mojito, Derby, Total, and Socket are among the top 10 Node js frameworks.
- Is Express the best Node js framework?
Express.js is one of the most popular Node js frameworks. It comes with several useful features that make it one of the top options for developers. However, the best Node framework for you depends on your project needs and requirements.
- Which Node js framework should I use in 2023?
App requirements, app development time, budget, and other considerations define the best Node js framework. So, it’s wise to speak with a professional who can assist you in making informed decisions.
Join a network of the world's best developers and get long-term remote software jobs with better compensation and career growth.